Submitted: 08-19-2003 by Spudnick

I am new to kayaking. My wife and I decided to rent two singles on a recent trip to San Diego, and ended up with Cobra Navigators. They were very nice boats. When we returned home, I started to do some research and look around locally. The largest dealer in town sold Islander SOT's exclusively. We decided it was best to purchase locally, and bought a Moku for me, and a Hula for my wife. We are thrilled with the boats. We have had them out 6 or 7 times now, and become more convinced that the Islanders were a good choice. They seem to perform well in a variety of conditions (ocean, harbor, lake). They go where we point them, and stop when we want to. We are not into speed, comfort is more important to us, and these boats are quite comfortable. Also, the price was right. I wouldnt have felt comfortable spending premium dollars for my first boat. The only negative point I have is that the footrest tends to gouge into my leg a little if I'm not careful to avoid it. I think a little foam pipe insulation may remedy this. Otherwise, I am very happy with the Moku.

Squid Anchor: