Submitted: 08-18-2003 by wet_one
I am a beginner and I am trying a variety of kayaks to determine what I will buy. This past weekend I went on a tour with Maine Island kayak Co and I tried out the argonaut. We roamed around for three hours cruising from island to island, in boat wash, two foot swells and some wind chop. The argonaut felt like a sedan, solid, stable and forgiving. I felt that it tracked very well, and at the same time lean turns were quick and easy. Large boat wakes on the beam were easily ridden with no hint of loss of stability or control. There is lots of space for dry storage, and access is easy with the valley hatches. The only thing that I didn't like was the rope skeg with the rope that goes down through the rear deck. It looks to me like it would wear too easily. I think this would be a good boat for beginners or someone needing lots of space for camping. Unfortunately I found it too stable and predictable, I will have to look elsewhere as I am looking for a boat that I can grow into.