Submitted: 08-18-2003 by dpc

I have returned to kayaking after 30 years, from the coast of CA to the lakes and rivers of SW MI. I chose the Pungo 14 because I needed a slightly larger boat than I did 30 years ago. I was concerned that I was going to be disapointed in the increase in boat width. I am not. I have about 60 hours in the boat this summer and am now very comfortable in the balance and recovery and yes, this boat can be turned over but you really need to work at it. I have made some modifications. I added a mat of 1 inch closed cell foam under the foot pegs, make it much more comfortable. I added a set of recovery bungees between the combing behind the seat and the rear hatch I copied a figure eight design I saw on another boat, it is very handy for loose stuff or an extra paddle. I am a little over 6'2" and 275 lbs, and my knees were getting rubbed raw on the underside of the combing so I also added some foam pads for knees and thighs, much more comforatable. I paddle with a mini skirt and will probably switch to a full skirt in the fall. I am looking forward to seeing how late in the season I can stay on the water. I like the boat. I gives someone of my age and size a good ride.