Submitted: 08-11-2003 by Tim M

I have had my Aurora for 2 months now and put in 20 days with it. I've paddled the Kananaskis, Bow, and several lakes. Just got back from the Churchhill River system (Saskatchewan) and had it tripping with 8 days of gear. Unbelievably the boat maintained sufficient freeboard with tonnes of gear (and beer), tracked reasonably well, and handled the larger waters of some of the Lakes we crossed. I soloed the canoe with the ash yoke across a few portages, including one which was 300 Meters. My royalex hull wieghs in at 64 pounds, but I found it a reasonable solo. We did run some class 3+ water, Otter rapids in extremly high water level. Since we were tripping we had no airbags, just canoe and my big cousin. We took the first half of the rapids fine but we took on a boat load of water when we struck a multidirectional wave (didn't have a clue which angle to approach the crazy waves). My boat then got swollowed by "the man eater" and got pounded into several rocks. Only one small dent in my polycarb gunnels and a few scrathes! I love the durability of royalex! Honestly I was very impressed with the canoe in the rapids until the inevidible intrusion of the water once we entered the technical 4 foot waves; most other canoes that would be appropriate for tripping would have been swollowed up much earlier.

I am so far very impressed with the versatility of the boat; good tripper good for small whitewater. A very good compromise. I am going to buy a solo play boat soon and my aurora will do everything else I need to do.

BassYaks: