Submitted: 08-11-2003 by DShattuck

I've owned my Cape Horn for 2 yrs now and it still continues to surprise me. It handles well in choppy waters and boat wakes. It's flat bottom keeps it real stable except in rolling ocean swells, I've had a few scares. In windy conditions it tends to weathercock slightly but not as much as other yaks I've tried. I paddle the Cape Horn in small ponds, rivers, as well as huge lakes in New England and it feels like the right vessel to handle most situations. With larger waves water does come into the cockpit due to it's low back deck. I like to work the shallow waters sometimes and will encounter submerged logs and boulders. But because it's slightly flat, you can just back off without any fear of tipping. It's very graceful once underway and turns well with a slight lean and sweep of the paddle. It's fairly quick for it's width and glides a good distance with minimal effort. That's important to me when I need to cover lots of water in a day. Overall, it's a good solid touring kayak that's easy to handle and feel safe in. Unless you need a specialized kayak for ocean surf or rapids, this yak outshines the majority in it's class. Period!