Submitted: 08-06-2003 by MYYAK

The Pungo 140 is my first kayak after 1 demo ride in a Perception Carolina, 15'. My Pungo is extremely stable, much better than the Carolina, (even in 2 foot Wisconsin waves, and remains that way even when parallel to the crests).

There are only 2 problems with the Pungo 140, as many others have mentioned. First and most importantly is that the rear, sealed bulkhead rubber cover is a real bugger to put on, even when on land. I use 303 UV protectant on my yak and give a liberal application to the rubber covers and the oval rear plastic foundation. 303 does a perfect job allowing the rubber cover to "snap" right on.

The second problem is that there are too few bungee cords mounted on the boat. There should be some on the rear, especially over the oval bulkhead cover.

I fly fish from my yak and made a rod holder from 2" PVC pipe, 58" long. I drilled a hole 1" in from each end of the PVC. Then I put a knot on two 1' pieces of 3/32" bungee, threaded them through the holes, (knot inside the pipe), and secured the bow end to the front handle and the other end just fits under the OEM bungee. I lined, (slid in), the pipe with a piece of pipe insulating foam, (made in Canada named TUNDRA). Now my 8 1/2' flyrod is out of the way, secure and the reel is up near the front of the cockpit. Yes, the rod sticks out the bow, unprotected, but it works perfectly.

I anchor from the stern, again no holes in the kayak, by tying a permanent loop of 1/4" poly rope to the stern handle, sliding the anchor rope for the (1.5 pound grappling anchor through the loop. I do have a secondary thin nylon rope fastened to the tie loop on the "bottom of the anchor to be sure I can pull it up to me easily.

I use a mini-skirt, like Dirty Dave said above for a stripping table. I also use a thin 12" plastic plant watering base, (1.5" high x 12" in dia.) between my legs so I can place my fish basket in and not have fish slime all over the inside of the boat. I have to now mount a paddle holder on the side of the yak, YEP, two holes required here, to keep the darn paddle out of the way when fishing.

I love this yak, it is a 10+ and Wilderness Systems customer service is excellent.