Submitted: 08-06-2003 by oldspooky
This was my first kayak and the boat I transitioned from canoe to kayak in. I went from a 14 ft canoe to this 12.5 ft sit on top. My first impression was wow! Now four years later, it is still my preferred boat to paddle the winding rivers of North Florida. I have three other kayaks now, but it is my favorite.

Remarkably it is the dryist SOT I have ever paddled. You sit up higher than in any other but dryer is the trade. The fore and aft hatches do fine for all my day trip needs including a small cooler.

I am 5'9" and 170 lbs and most of my paddling keeps the built in sponsons high. This gives me reasonable speed and tracking with the more aerodynamic hull in the water. The sponsons provide amazing stability anytime you need it. I have a rudder but rarely use it. The boat is short and wide but that lower hull design and how high I ride in the water, lets me maneuver in technical faster water just fine.

Necky has a new model out in this length now, and I have not had a chance to see one first hand to look at the design changes. For my money, in short, stable SOTs, this is the boat.