Submitted: 08-05-2003 by paxtonm

Having owned and frequently paddled one for more than 2 months now, I feel like I'm still getting to know mine. It is a wet boat, and the standard seat outfitting is as uncomfortable as described. I believe any kayak benefits from some customizing. I glued in a hotseat, padded knee straps and the S to S low back, and it's comfortable for long paddles and very secure and controllable in bumpy weather.

The boat wants to weathercock, but not severely. I've not had to use the rudder on it. The boat carves beautifully when edged, really fun to play with around rocks or in tight quarters.

For a plastic SOT, it's faster than most. You can expect to keep up with the crowd pretty easily, and it's fun to be passing people. The aforementioned knee straps make great side carrying handles. I'll probably add a day hatch similar to the ones on the Na Pali's sistership double -- the Mandalay, which we also own.

I'm 6-4 and 230, and the boat just fits. I wanted a faster SOT, and this one compared favorably to the Necky Dolphin and Scupper Pro, and it was the only one that would comfortably hold my long legs.