Submitted: 08-04-2003 by JIB

I've had my 17.4 Discovery for about 4 years and had used it only twice because I found it to be too heavy and very difficult to cart around on top of the car. I must admit, I bought it on looks, without any thought to function. It was an impulse purchase while visiting the factory at Old Town. It clearly was the wrong canoe for carting around. This year I have been able to store the canoe at the Riverfront Recapture boat house by the Connecticut River in Hartford and now use it several times a week. It is the perfect canoe for the river. I only have to carry it about 50 yards to the water. It is a great leisure craft. Perfect for winding down and relaxing. I take people out on it who would be reluctant to venture out on a smaller canoe. Yes, under windy conditions, it can sail and can be hard to turn. By personal choice, most days, it is the slowest craft on the river. However, it handles the wakes from motor boats without a problem and is stable enough for me to take pictures with confidence. At the same time, when I want to, I can make it turn at will and with the long waterline, I can really cruise. It is a water version of a pickup truck with a kick.