Submitted: 12-03-1998 by Tim Mattson

The Sea Lion is the best all around sea Kayak in my fleet. It is plenty maneuverable, fast enough to keep up with most paddlers, and has plenty of room to carry gear for extended touring. It may not be the best at any single feature, but it does them all OK making it a great all around boat.

More specifically, the Sea Lion has high primary stability so it really shines for beginners. In addition, it rolls easilly and responds well to leans making it fun for the intermediate paddler as well. The only area where it is quite weak is surfing. It broches right away in the surf.

My Sea Lion is made of plastic which means it weighs a ton (I'm not sure of the weight but its somewhere around 65 to 70 pounds). This makes it real painful getting the boat on and off my car. It also causes it to accelerate a bit sluggishly. However, I have lots of fun taking it into shallow, rocky places that would seriously batter my composite or folding) boats. So there are disadvantages of a plastic boat, but its important to remember the advantages as well. My Sea Lion has taught me that I always need to have at least one plastic boat in my fleet.

Lasso Security Cables: