Submitted: 08-04-2003 by AlanBrileyRN
I obtained my Loon 111 from my sister when she moved away this year. I had only kayaked on the Intracoastal Waterway in the past, and I found that using the Old Town Loon 111 on the Bannister River was much easier. (Less current!) My grandsons, (ages 9, 9, 10, and 12,) have no problem with this kayak on slow moving water. They even fish from it without stability problems. While very stable, it does tend to track to the right, and it turns like a barge. I work as an Emergency Department RN, so I don't get a lot of physical exercise at work. This kayak allows my to work off stress, while at the same time enjoy viewing the kingfishers, mallards, canadian geese, pintails, egrets, whitetail deer and other wildlife. I am looking to pad the seat, and I obtained a sprayskirt so I can paddle year-round. The polylink-3 construction insulates from both hot and cold, so it should be comfortable year round. I plan on obtaining a touring kayak for longer trips, but I will keep this kayak for family fun. I carry it and load it in my Ford Ranger 4x4 truck without difficulty. If it tracked straight and turned easier, I would rate it higher, but 8 out of 10 isn't bad!

Botetourt County Tourism: