Submitted: 08-04-2003 by CHC

I recently purchased the America 13.5 after testing the Pungo 120 and Pamlico 120. I'm 5'10", 250 lbs with a bad knee and hip. I found all three kayaks relatively easy to enter and exit. All three were also comparably stable and tracked fairly well. The Pungo and Pamilico kayaks were fairly boring though. The learning curve in these two kayaks was relatively fast. The boats handle well, but again they were boring.

The America on the other hand was a few ticks better in turning quicker, being faster on the water, tracking straighter and I found the seat more stable, supportive and comfortable compared to the Phase 3 System. (which says a lot!)

To date I've used the America in a protected saltwater bay with a fair current (3-4kts) which can get breezy and choppy. The America has handled all the conditions very well. I'd buy it again!