Submitted: 07-28-2003 by jcaldeira
This is an update to my review of the Perception Shadow posted on December 23, 2002. My Shadow remains an overall well-performing boat after two years, but the weave of the kevlar fabric has "printed-through" to the surface of the hull. Instead of a glossy smooth surface, a checkered pattern is very visible and can be felt, especially on the flatter bottom of the hull. This print-through increases frictional drag, but the main problem is cosmetic and it is difficult to correct.

The standard Perception warrantee requires the owner to pay 50% of the recommended retail price, plus shipping, to have a boat repaired or replaced after two years (25% after one year) even if caused by a manufacturing defect, and this is not practical with my boat.

Due to the quality problem and the weak Perception warrantee, I have lowered my rating on this boat.