Submitted: 07-28-2003 by rtnospam
Today was my second trip with my Safari. The first was onto White Bear Lake (larger lake in Twin Cities area) to test it out. Other reviewers note it is tippier than the typical IK. I felt this immediately upon boarding it. However, once settling in and adjusting the foot and thigh braces, I felt the design was advantageous. You can lean and maneuver using more of your body and due to its slim width, the Safari seems to move along faster then my Sea Eagle 380x.

Today I took the Safari on a local easy (max Class I) river and didn't notice the tippiness at all. The bailing feature works well, there is a little water on the bottom near the sides but it doesn't amount to much. I switched to the closed bailing 380x halfway (friend was paddling) and it had about the same amount of water in it. The skeg attachment does help one go straighter (and thus a little faster due to efficiency).

My only complaint is comfort. Although I feel that the Safari fits my 6' 185lb frame well, the seat was not very comfortable. On a later trip maybe I will try to rig my Sea Eagle deluxe seat into the Safari.

Other big pluses of the Safari is that it packs down quite well and only weighs about 25 pounds, almost half that of the Sea Eagle. I plan to get a 4 part paddle so I can take this boat with me when I have an opportunity to fly to a location with fun waters nearby.

I should also add that the Innova people were very good at answering my questions which led to the purchase of my Innova Safari.