Submitted: 07-28-2003 by Bruce

The reason I gave it a 7 is not because it is a terrific boat, the week after I bought it I would have given it a 1 because of the tracking. But since then I have tried many versions of skegs and with the help of fellow kayakers I have overcome the tracking problems, but not the speed I have just learned that you cannot paddle it fast because of the deep v hull, and I live with that I guess Iím not in a hurry to get anywhere when I am boating, and it is a lot faster than a canoe. The big things it has going for it is #1 the price its cheap its tough, stable for the novice, and fairly comfortable. The negatives tracking, and all the help I did not get when I emailed pelican about the tracking "3" times and no return on my email. I will try to explain my skeg rudder its an aluminum fin about 1 foot long 3 inches wide mounted on a board that is about 2 feet long that I mount on the boat when I get to the water. The skeg has a rope so I can raise and lower it. When it is all the way down in the water it is at about a 30-degree angle, tried it at about 80 degrees made boat really weird.

My opinion if you want a boat just to kick around in, not to serious about it or don't want to spend much money to see if you like it this is a good boat. But do not even try to paddle it without a rudder/skeg. I know guys who bought expensive boats that don't work the way they want them to so if your buying try the boat before you buy and realize what you like now probably will not be what you want after you learn to paddle. Also for all you guys who bought pelicans I think you should get the dust off the boat make rudder and try it one more time, and also if anyone from pelican reads this and they are interested in ever selling more kayaks maybe they should make skeg/rudder for existing boats and change design of new ones, and maybe when a customer buys a boat and emails you with a problem you could at least acknowledge his problem and in this case agree it is the boat design is poor.

All that said Iím ready to move up to the next level of kayak and it will not be pelican, but I will keep it for beating around in and an extra so I can bring along a friend.