Submitted: 07-17-2003 by Nonsense9

I was actually surprised by the Sundance's competent handling. Why? I had paddled three other kayaks in the 12 to 12.5 foot range, and found them maneuverable, but slower and sometimes less stable. The Sundance was reasonably fast and still stable. It was the best of the kayaks I tried under 13 feet.

One interesting note: When making sweeps to turn in place, the Sundance will actually make noise at the stern! I thought at first it was my lack of paddling technique, then realized it wasn't the paddle--it was the blunt stern coming around! Yet, it turned as well as these 12 foot kayaks all do.

The Sundance (for me) tracked better than a Walden Vista and a Walden Scout. This also surprised me, because I expected the "lighter" Waldens to be much faster and stable on the go. Now that I've tried one, I would rate the Sundance ahead of both in handling qualities and speed. Conditions included a 10-15mph beam wind, and the Sundance didn't have the tendancy to turn into it like the shorter yaks.

Moral of the story--make sure you try it before you buy it!