Submitted: 07-17-2003 by Todd K.

I've been a kayaker for six years and have always rented boats. I thought it was time to buy a boat but I was considering my budget and I was visiting REI when I saw this Cape Lookout 145. Its shorter than most of the boats that I usually used but for my current 6'x225lb body the fit was good with out being too snug. I tried the boat out at an REI boat trials day on San Franciso Bay with lots of wind and short chop. The 145 did take a little work to keep straight but with the rudder down it tracked easily. The high rise in the deck over the cockpit was great for keeping me dry and giving me some knee room when I wanted it. Since my purchase three months ago I have paddled several large resevoirs (smooth water and wind chopped) and the kayak felt good about getting around in tight places as well as out in the open water. Last week I cruised from Sea Trek in Sausalito, across Richardson Bay, through wild Racoon Straight, around Angel Island and back for a ten mile ride. The 145 handled the wild ride with ease, though sometimes it felt a little sluggish. I surfed the rabid rip tides of Racoon Straight and crashed headlong through a combination of wind blown, fast fired ocean and and bay swells and waves and I hardly got wet. It was a screaming fun day and the Cape Outlook 145 proved its metal (roto-mold wise). Though you won't break any speed records, I highly recommend this little boat to take you anywhere you want to go and feel safe while doing so.