Submitted: 07-14-2003 by Dave Wakefield

I bought my Outback three weeks ago and so far have only been out three times in the Derwent River estuary in Tasmania. It can get a fair amount of chop. I've found the Outback to be stable, heavy, really well made and thoughtfully designed. You don't need any extras with this. It is somewhat awkward to get on and off the roof of my Subaru but the handle is useful when carrying. The pedal propulsion system is amazingly effective, easy to install and when you find a comfortable cadence you can just keep on going for ages. The seat is dry, easy to adjust and very comfortable. I leave the rudder down when paddling unless I'm going to be doing some manoeuvring. I do get a little water inside and I'm not sure whether it's through the front hatch ( most likely ) or possibly the mast step. Build quality is excellent - what I expected given the reputation of the company. In wind and chop yesterday I did get some spray blowing onto the foredeck but the bow does a good job of deflecting the waves. I don't want to get too adventurous yet - the water's cold here in winter and I'm not well equipped in terms of wet gear. In summary, although expensive, I think it's money well spent. I can't wait to go fishing on it.