Submitted: 07-10-2003 by dougiej

I've had my Acadia 12.5 since early May and have been out in it almost every weekend, taking flatwater and fastwater river trips from 6 - 14 miles or more! It's nicely rigged, the stern watertight bulkhead storage is great for overnight trips, it tracks better than comparably-priced boats, is stable, turns quickly, too. At 6'2" and 190 lbs, I wanted something with a cockpit larger than found on most touring kayaks, but smaller than the average recreational kayak cockpit. The Acadia cockpit is "just right," and I've got a good spray skirt for rainy or rough days. I also needed something small enough and light enough for one person to handle, eg loading on the car, and also something I could easily store in my basement. Limitations: I recently ordered a set of rotomolded thigh braces so I could have better contact with the boat. Also, I've now got the kayaking bug so bad I want to get out on the ocean, but will need to purchase bow floatation bags before I attempt this. Will probably also add a rudder for ocean paddling activities. I'll probably end up spending $300 on accessories to get the boat "perfect" for my needs. Or, I may just buy a touring boat for my ocean-going endeavors. Overall, a great boat, but I can already see that I'll be outgrowing it faster than I thought I would.