Submitted: 07-09-2003 by sebastianbill

Like many, I knew I wanted to become a kayaker after my first experience with a "sit-on-top" at a resort. Deciding which one to buy was much harder, especially in a sport where skinny people (& skinny kayaks) are so prevalent. My 6 ft, 220 lb (reduction in progress) frame required a bit more boat than most. Luckily, Kayaks, Etc. of Vero Beach, FL, offers on the water "demo days". I was able to try six different designs from three different mfgrs, finding positive qualities in all. The one with the most positives for my needs was the Perception America. The wide & stable (27") beam was perfect for my (current) dimensions, and its 13'4" length enables very good tracking without a skeg or rudder. The huge cockpit makes entry/exit much easier, as well as the ability to reach various items stored around the paddler. Storage is ample for well-equipped day trippers in this fun to paddle, low-impact exercise machine. It is quite possible that I will obtain a higher performance boat someday, although the America performs so well that it sure isn't an immediate issue.