Submitted: 08-23-1999 by Lou R.

The Tornak is a low volume 15 1/2 foot boat in fiberglass. The round chined hull has great acceleration and good primary and secondary stability. It has good maneuverability due to moderate rocker. In fiberglass it is very light (around 45 lbs. or slightly less) and easy to handle off the water. It tracks well without a rudder. When cross wind and current conditions warrant, the use of the rudder trims things out well.

The cockpit is a little constraining and I may remove the thigh braces to give me more leg motion. My boat is several years old and has no seat as such, only a foam pad and a backband. The newer boats have a thermoplastic seat which has to be a great improvement.

I recommend that any smaller person looking for a light weight kayak test paddle a Tornak. (I don't know where you will be able to do this, however, if other dealers have the same policy as Canoesport, our Houston Necky dealer. They will not let anyone test any of their boats even if you put a significant amount of money down and/or have purchased several thousand dollars worth of boats from them over the years.)