Submitted: 08-23-1999 by Greg

A great craft if you duck hunt, bird watch, fish or camp on a river or need stability (children pets etc.) Very light and can be handled and lifited by one person. It is not as forgiving in the white stuff due too the flat bottom, however it handles very well when loaded. It will track a little odd, but I always drag a bit of chain to correct it. On a flat lake it will suck up the wind and will handle a little more cumbersome than a skinney, however I always use a side mounted trolling motor on those days. The Camper is a fine product worth boasting about when used accordingly to it's design. The web or cane seats are a must if you are considering a trip of any length. I have taken many river trips in mine that were over 4 days duration and the craft was able to perform very well with two adults, a pooch and camping gear. I use mine mostly for river fishing in some rapids (class 3) for small mouth. Friends own other types of canoes, i.e. Discovery, but these craft have weaknesses too, such as weight, stability and tracking. Also, unless the canoer is very experienced, the skinnys usally don't perform any better in the average white than my camper. It is one comfortable craft for this sport and I dare say that a small jon boat cannot measure up to the camper. My best advice- Buy only for the application that you are intrested in. I've noticed that jon boats are bulky, heavy and extremely noisy for shallow fishing and some with the narrow beam are not as stable, also the jon boats can be expensive for their limited use as well and usally require a truck to haul them. Good luck!