Submitted: 07-03-2003 by bismarck0359

I am new to kayaking and had no rack on which to transport my new kayak. After reading reviews on this site and seeing too many negatives with regards to saddles and rollers, I went with the Hullraisers on a Yakima rack. I am very pleased with this setup. I was always nervous using the foam block system which could be a pain to use alone when the wind was blowing. The foam blocks would not stay put before the kayak was placed on them. I was also always worried how secure that setup was. So part of the reason for my purchase was for piece of mind. I have a Dakota Quad Cab, and since I usually do this alone, I put my kayak in the truck bed, climb up on the bed and then place the kayak on the Hullraisers. With the kayak in place, the Hullraisers will rotate slightly on the round bars to conform to the shape of the hull. The included straps have a rubber housing around the cam buckle to protect your kayak. I have found them to be very secure. I do continue to use bow and stern tie downs. Each of the two Hullraisers has 4 foam pads which can be moved (not easily though, which is a good thing)up or down to conform to different hull shapes. Since there are 4 pads and they stay where you place them, you only have to set them up once for different boat types and leave them there. All you have to do is be sure that each kayak you have will be resting on foam and not bar. You won't have to adjust them over and over each time you take a different kayak as you might have to do with saddles. Using this system, there is still plenty of room on the bars for a narrow cargo box, bike rack, or another set of Hullraisers. I got them on sale, but I believe the set usually retails for $99.00. I also purchased accessory lockhousings to secure my investment, due to Hullraisers being highly visible and easily removable. I have a Necky Santa Cruze and an Eddyline Merlin LT. Both go on and come off easily and I have not noticed any scuffing or deformities as a result of using the Hullraisers. Don't be fooled by my giving it an 8. I believe there are too many 9's and 10's on this site. I believe that anything, even good products can be improved upon and one should leave room for that. So I am very pleased with my decision and I believe that this is a great product and would recommend them to others. Just my two cents.