Submitted: 07-03-2003 by Steve

Since I've gotten many responses requesting details of the plywood floorboard. I'll post the details here.

I used a 2'x8' 3/8" thick plywood ACX panel. First I layed it over the bottom of the inflated boat and approximately traced the out line. (use the center line of the tubes) I used a circular saw at an angle to cut a bevel which I later radiused with a belt sander. The resulting shape was somewhat like a elongated diamond. I then sealed the floorboard with 3 or 4 coats of marine spar varnish. To use it, I put the board in the bottom of boat before inflation. Try to center it as close as possible. I begin inflating the donut tubes and slide the bow and stern sheets while partially inflated. The sheets should extend below the floorboard on either side. Center the inflatable floor on top, then inflate the tubes the rest of the way. Once inflated, the floorboard is wedged in place and will not move. I then inflate the floor(sits on top of the floorboard). The inflatable floor makes for a more comfortable seat than bare plywood.

Paddling.net T-Shirt Sale: