Submitted: 07-01-2003 by head4obx
I purchased my tandem Mallard II about 2 years ago and am the second owner. Before I had the kayak it was used at a rental shop. The kayak is a great open pit kayak, and can take lots of abuse. I base that by the construction and the fact that even though it is a rental it is in great shape. I have had it on lakes both calm and in the wind in NH, and also at Pea Island reserve in the outer banks in NC. It handles very well in the wind and some waves. My brother in law rented a old town tandem 160 and you can really see the difference in the construction and heft. That brings me to the only downside, at 82 pounds it is not the easy to handle alone, but with a cart I manage. For me, with a few kids, there is so much room it is great. I've had my son and nephew fishing at Pea Island and there was plenty of room for everything. Plus, after 16 hours on a roof rack with a cargo carrier strapped inside the kayak, it doesn't take long for any bend from the sun to straighten out. Best $225 I've spent in a while.