Submitted: 06-30-2003 by KRT

I recently paddled this boat at an advanced whitewatter paddling clinic. Knowing its reputation as a river runner, I eagerly anticipated paddling with this hull. I wasn't disappointed. Initial stability is average at best but secondary stabilty is fantastic. You can heel that boat to the gunwale and it simply won't go over.

We paddled class III water for two straight days and simply had a blast. Quick for its size, great for eddying and eddy peel outs. The turning radius of the boat improves dramatically when it is leaned. While not designed as a pure playboat, it handled its own quite nicely surfing. The appalachian performs exactly as intended, a down river boat with the ability and performance to handle Class III whitewater. Great boat. I'd love to see Old Town improve on this boat and make more of a playboat.