Submitted: 06-27-2003 by jim p.

I've had my Sultan out on the open water for three months now, and have to say I'm very pleased. It was built exactly to my specs, and Louis, the manufacturer had gone out of his way to make sure I've been pleased, and that the boat was done just right.

It paddles beautifully. It is fast, able to cruise without really trying at 4.5 mph. With some oomph, it's at 6. It weathercocks very, very little. I've not had to use the skeg yet. And, it turns when I want it to; provided it's put on edge, which is also very easy to do. In fact, on edge, this boat is not much more difficult to move around than my Pintail. For those who know, the Pintail is the sports car of sea kayaks.

I find that the initial stability is very good. One could take pictures out of it. Secondary stability is also very good. The boat can be put on edge and held there most of the day if needed. I should modestly say, that I'm a BCU 4 star paddler and an ACA open water instructor, and don't mind a boat that's a bit lively. My definition of stable may not be the same as a novice to the sport, so beginners should take my comments with a grain of salt.

Still, it's a good boat. On a recent outing, paddling through a 3 ft. chop, the boat just works through it! No need to do any fancy gymnastics or hyperbraces; it just goes where you point it.

It goes, it turns, it keeps me up; what more could I ask? I do agree with Lazlo though that any skirt that I've used with it leaks around the coaming. Minor, but kind of irritating. So since nothing is perfect, I give it an 8! Points off for the leaking coaming, and a point off for having a small leak in the middle bulkhead which by the way, Louis had guided me through the fix effortlessly. I love it.

Suspenz: