Submitted: 06-19-2003 by harpcycle

We purchased Prijon kayaks about a year ago after trying several different models/makes. We wanted plastic boats because of the areas we like to launch/land at. First, the Prijon plastic system really impressed us. Looking at older Prijons we didn't notice any of the oil-canning that seemed evident on most other used plastic boats. The stiffness of the deck seemed to be retained even in older boats.

Seayak - My wife is 5'4" tall and is trim. The Seayak fits her although some purists would argue it is too big. The cockpit is big enough where she can lift both knees. Getting in bottom first is a snap. The Seayak is advertised at 24" beam, but hers measures about 22.75"

The boat weighs 55 lbs empty. I can pick it up and use the cockpit/shoulder carry method comfortably. The stern toggle is too close to the rudder to be comfortable. The hatches are watertight and well designed. The neoprene covers are difficult to get on and off.

The rudder mechanism works very well. The deployment line is a bit farther back toward the stern than I like and I have long arms. The gas pedal foot controls allow strong braces and sensitive trimming of the rudder. The boat edges nicely although the limit is elusive. It takes seas on the bow or stern well. It weather cocks enough that she would rather rely on the rudder than edging and correcting in most conditions.

The seat and backband are "okay." They adjust easily but aren't real comfortable. She uses one of the Voyageur inflatable seats and it works very nicely for her. The coaming lip is quite slippery and coupled with the long cockpit trying to stretch her neoprene skirt over it is a chore. We are thinking about roughing up the stern edge... we'll see.

The deck netting works pretty well. The forward net should extend back closer to the cockpit. The rear net is effective for carrying "stuff" but isn't great for holding a paddle blade during a self rescue. The cross straps on the hatches work well for holding spare paddles. The D-Rings are very useful. The boat accelerates and glides well making it relatively easy for her to keep up with my Kodiak.