Submitted: 06-16-2003 by Chuck

This is my first kayak. After doing the research, I purchased the tandem Excel because it seemed like it provides the best mix of features. After a dozen trips, I still think so. Pros: The boat is large and has pretty good storage room for an "open" kayak. I've stretched a bungie cord across it to hang goodies just behind the front seat. It's an extremely comfortable boat. My first trip was a 7 hour drift down the Edisto River with my teenage son and we felt great afterward, a tribut to the great seats. With the rudder attached, it tracks great (not so great without a rudder). Even got it out on the waves and had some fun but quickly discovered the "thrill factor limit" of the boat.It does handle great as a solo boat. Cons: It's a heavy beast. Trying to put this boat bak on top after a solo trip is a bit of a challenge. Bottom line: This boat does exactly what it's supposed to do. It's great for lakes and easy rivers, handles well with a rudder and for the price, you just can't beat it.

Botetourt County Tourism: