Submitted: 06-13-2003 by uitlander
After a week of overanalyzing, I chose the Pungo 140 over the Pungo 120, and I couldn't be happier about my choice.I've switched over from a Dagger Blackwater 11.5 (its owner took it back after a year), and the Pungo 140 is a much faster boat. With realtively little effort (and a carbon fiber Aquabound Expedition paddle), I blow right by my friends in their 12-footers. The Blackwater tracked pretty well with its skeg, but the Pungo tracks even better than the Blackwater in a current. As everyone on this post has said, the Phase 3 seat is the closest thing to a La-Z-Boy on the water. It did take a couple of trips to get used to the length -- you do give up some maneuverability, which is to be expected. If you're used to a shorter yak, I would not recommend a skinny winding creek for your first trip, unless you're really good or want to end up in the drink (I did, and appreciated that bulkhead). The turning was much more natural by the third trip.My only complaint is that it's hard to seal that back hatch while in the water, but this is relatively minor. Use your paddle to get it down. Overall, I can't imagine a better rec boat under $1,000. A real bargain.