Submitted: 06-12-2003 by bigbluetruck

I purchased these pick-up truck overhead racks in 2002. I had already gone through two other sets; one home made and another rack system "wanna-be" (JEMB/Mirage).

I have been extremely pleased with this system; it's heavy duty, can hold a heavy load (1000 lbs. as per the manufacturer) and NO DRILLING is required to install it on most trucks. The installation can take a little time a first but its worth it. It can be installed directly on the side truck rails, with or without an over-the-rail bedliner. I installed it on an over-the rail bedliner, although I modifed Trac Rac's instructions in this area. I used a dremel type tool to cut custom holes over the stack pockets with no danmage to the truck bed itself and minimal removal to the plastic bedliner.

If you purchase the racks, know that:1.Customer service is very helpful and should be contacted. 2. There are some options on the sizes for the upright pieces and lengths to the crossbars. (2 sizes on each part.) It is worth thinking about, in regard to how high you would like your boats to be above the truck cab roof. Customer service can help in this regard.

One downside-They are pricey. My system consists of a rail & rack system. I also purchased additional basetrack tiedowns (4) and locking knobs (2) to prevent theft. The total price was approximately $625.00 and this was with discounts from a local paddling show. Your price may be higher. :>(

Overall, these are an excellent rack system and I would recommend them to anyone.