Submitted: 06-12-2003 by JH

After testing several kayaks at a local paddle days, I decided the Monterey would be the best fit. I soon found out that I had made a mistake. After the first extended trip I nearly gave my self a hernia trying to portage the vessel back to my vehicle. The back haul had taken in substantial amounts of water. Water was leaking in through the pivot bolt for the skeg. After just three times out the skeg was continuously hanging up. The only other complaint would be the storage space available. You must pack very light if you are going on weekend camping trip. However, once the above-mentioned problems were worked out, the Monteray has been an above average boat in its class. The versatility to take it out on larger bodies of water and smaller rivers makes it ideal for the weekend warrior. Also, the ability to track with larger boats allows you to fit in with any kayaking group.