Submitted: 06-11-2003 by leeg

6/03, just came back from the beach at Assateague, I'm satisfied with it's wave handling attributes. When making the Merganser I allowed the ends to get more pinched than they should, which might be controlled if there was a temporary bulkhead used to help position the deck and hull panels in the ends during construction, or I followed directions. All it took was a couple moments surfing forwards and backwards into a broach to see that the balance was right, a smooth carving accelleration. That balance being cg, rocker and distributed volume (flare, fore/aft). It's interesting how fore/aft volume rocker and flare can correspond to the two axis the paddlers body moves in, torso rotation and hip movement. On the next construction I'm considering removing some of the entry in the bottom panels to reduce the resistance of the bow to turning. For my 190lbs it's a bit tippy but very quick to accelerate. We'll see how it is in high winds next chance I get but so far it's a good choice where efficiency/speed with adequate control is more the preference than immediate maneuverability.