Submitted: 06-10-2003 by detjen

I bought my Yukon without the rudder - and you couldn't pay me to put one on. :) It's not a good tracking boat when you stop paddling - but that's easy to remedy by keeping up the occasional stroke. I've got a rudder on my Excursion - and for tandem paddling I use it. But if I have the Excursion out with the front cockpit full of gear - then I leave the rudder up. I guess I'm more concerned with being able to cross currents and not get hung up on river debris than I am about cruising in a straight line - but like I said - it goes where you point it as long as you are paddling... I rate it a 9 for 3 nit picky reasons.

1) My seat doesn't adjust front and back. I like it where it is - but I'd prefer to check it out a bit further back.

2) I prefer Perceptions foot keepers because I can move them forward and back from inside the boat with my feet. I have to get out and use my hands to adjust Prijon's keepers. If you're using a rudder then the gas pedal style is nice - but having to pull the center out and find the next hole is cumbersome.

3) The screws that hold the adjustable thigh braces on stick up above the rest of the coaming - and after a week of paddling they had really scratched up the shaft of my brand new carbon fiber Epic paddle.

I sent the paddle back because the blades were both delaminating anyway - but that's a review that I'll hold off on until after I get the replacement (so far I'd suggest you buy one you can inspect first rather than ordering one).