Submitted: 06-10-2003 by Tig

When I first looked at the Explorer HV I thought it would be a barge: high windage, track bad, turn so-so, to big, etc. After paddling several and now have access to one whenever it's one of the best yaks in rough water I've ever had the pleasure to paddle. Primary stability is a bit twitchy-meaning it's responsive-but the secondary is truly amazing. I was doing lean turns in steep and short-wavelength waves at the bar of a bay. Let me stress the secondary stability: it's amazing! The down side to yak is the horrible construction, I had to repair the TRULY S***** seam in two places that leaked! Whoever did the lay-up must have been blind or criminally inept. Also, the hatches are way too small for meaningful extended trips. The only time I ever thought to drop the skeg, not that I needed to, I found that it was jammed in the box. Besides the seam repairs, I cut out the seat and put in a foam seat and a minicell back rest. I also improved the front bulkhead and added a Bosworth Guzzler footpump. For all that I get to paddle it essentially whenever I want. One truly memorable paddle was an evening paddle out 11 miles to a offshore buoy and back in large swells. The yak tracked well without the skeg, was a joy in the seas, wasn't affected by the winds and that amazing secondary stability...