Submitted: 06-09-2003 by J. Hughes

My wife and I were looking for an entry level kayak to get us into the sport. We weren't looking to hop into white-water right away, and live right next to a lake, with slow-moving rivers and creeks throughout the area. After a great deal of comparison shopping we chose the Pungo 100 because of the Phase 3 seating (I have lower back problems) and the fact that it looked like it struck a good balance between weight, tracking, and handling. After using them for about 4 months now, I have to say that we both love these boats. We just got in them and started paddling, and have used them in a fairly wide variety of conditions already. They track well, turn quickly when necessary, and are extremely stable, even in heavy swells and waves. The seating is fantastic, and my wife can even put hers on top of our van by herself if she wants to do some solo paddling. The only weakness I can detect so far is than on a river, the current can sometimes grab the rear rudder and slew the boat around if you're not careful to protect against it. Otherwise, they're awesome!