Submitted: 06-06-2003 by Peapod

This is my second kayak and my first seakayak. I have used this kayak now for three months and I have found that it has lived up to its reputation as a very good plastic kayak. The boat has very good intial stability and excellent secondary stabilty. I have used this boat in lakes rivers bays and some channels with strong currents and the Seayak has performed well. The boat handles waves well as I discovered when a sudden spring storm came in from the Northwest turning a calm trip into an adventure. The boat handled the 2-3 foot continious barrage of waves like a pro. The Seayak tracks well and reponse well to turning. I am still learning how to paddle and handle her better. She seems to be able to maintain her course well.

The one area of the boat that needs improvement is the seat. The seat design could use help. The seatback has two tabs that slip into the bottom rear of the seat. When the seat is level or slightly inclined than the backrest falls out and you are seating on the folded backrest. Needless to say this can cause a major inconvenience when you are trying to enter the boat. Secondly, the manufactors claims that you can easily adjust the angle of the backrest when in the boat. It is almost impossible to reach the pull string with the hip braces attached. I removed them and it seems to be easier. The tech support was less than helpful when I asked for suggestions to adjust the seat and keep the backrest in position. Once in the boat, aproperly positioned in the boat and with some additional padding the seat is ok.

This is my first seakayak so I can not compare it to any others. The boat seems well constructed and the plastic is very scratch resistance. I have never had any water enter the hatches even though I have been in waves that crashed over the first third of the kayak. Overall I am satisfied with this kayak and hope to spend a number of years exploring the waters of Long Island and surrounding areas. If someone is looking a stable, reasonable speedy, durable, well constructed kayak they should consider the Seayak. However, Prijon please make a better seat.

Bending Branches: