Submitted: 06-02-2003 by richwest

I've been surfing with my Typhoon since last September. I recently purchased the Spirit and tried it today in some good 4'-7' surf. The Spirit takes off a little faster than the Typhoon and it steers a little better than the Typhoon. Going out through the surf is lots of fun with both. The Spirit is a few pounds lighter than the Typhoon at 35 lbs -vs.- 39 lbs. It is very stable though a following sea (large swells) tended to want to veer me off track. I was surprised by the amount of water that entered the hull. I'll have to work on sealing the small round screw-on hatch. The seat is slightly deeper and the angle of the back is less reclined than the Typhoon. The Typhoon is more comfortable. The foot wells are a single fixed size rather than the multiple settings for the Typhoon. Like the Typhoon, the water enters the cockpit and stays with you for the duration since there are no scupper drains. All in all, I love the Spirit in the surf! I'll keep them both!