Submitted: 05-31-2003 by DPH

I was very curious about the Reggae for a long time; I liked the look of it, but after reading all the bad reviews, I was afraid to buy it. However, Andrew's review convinced me. I bought a Reggae two days ago - the same one I've been staring at for over six months, every time I stopped by the local outfitter's store. I got a really good price because it was on close-out.

I'd agree with everything Andrew says except I've never been on Class III rapids so I wouldn't know. But I wanted a SOT kayak for using on rivers. For that purpose it's great! Very maneuverable, stable, fun, and I think it is a nice looking boat. I also like the way Islander makes their hatches. They're less likely to pop open like those rubber seal hatches sometimes do on other manufacturers' boats.

On flat water, it tracks just OK... and that's assuming you're not "pushing" it. Don't get me wrong - it's not a total dog, but it doesn't want to go fast on flat water. If you try too hard, it turns to the side. But it can be fun on flat water too as long as you're not expecting too much of it. I like my Reggae, and would recommend it to anyone who wants to use it on moving water.