Submitted: 05-31-2003 by ChuckPeacock

I have an older Yukon with a rudder and the previous reviewer ( hey "dude"...) and I emailed back and forth some on the merits of adding a rudder to a rudderless boat like he had. I inherited this boat from my sister and I remember the very first time I paddled it. It was actually the first time I had ever paddled a kayak, so at the time, it wasn't the best introduction (it didn't have a rudder then). The boat was all over the place and I couldn't control it. Fast forward to a couple of years later when my sisters husband in the meanwhile had installed a factory Prijon rudder, and sis said I could have the boat as they had added 2 others to their garage. I couldn't believe that the same boat would behave much differently even with a rudder after that famous first experience, but it did. Now I'm going on two years with the boat and I've learned somewhat how to paddle the boat without the rudder by leaning to the opposite side and switching back and forth. Still this technique requires a lot of attention and when slowing down the boat still wants to go its own way, so most of the time I use the rudder and its a totally different boat. I've added a deck bag and flush mount rod holders to the back deck and its been quite a nice fishing vessel, very stable and with the rudder down I can hold a parallel drift for casting a shoreline or edge type structure. I thought I'd want to sell it when I bought my latest yak (Pungo), but I was wrong and I found myself missing the attributes of the Yukon for dealing with river current and wind, it sits lower in the water than the Pungo and its a totally different feel. So Pungo gets added, Yukon keeps its place and I'm looking forward to a sit on top for those striped bass further out in the rough stuff. I would recommend this boat for crossover paddling, but get yourself a rudder, this boat needs it.

Thunder Bay Tourism: