Submitted: 05-28-2003 by R MacLeod

I purchased a used 2002 Cape Lookout 14.5 from a local touring/rental outfitter for $989 Cdn. A good deal. For a plastic boat is was not too bad lifting atop by Volvo wagon on my own. The boat is quite stable at least from a primary stability perspective. I did not get a chance to test the limits of its secondary stability as the water is too cold this time of year to risk dumping. I was not as pleased with the boat's tracking. Even with the rudder down, you had to pay attention to keeping the boat straight. After a few trips out, I came to realize that the wind and currents influence this boats tracking. I do most of my paddling in the bays and on the coast of Prince Edward Island where wind is a constant. This was not a terrible boat as reflected in my rating; however, the tracking was an issue for me so I traded it back to the outfitter in exchange for a Cape Horn 15 which I think is more suited to my needs. I have only had the Cape Horn out for a test drive and will report back once I have had it out for a few day trips.