Submitted: 05-22-2003 by VR

The Acadia is the first kayak my husband and I have ever owned. We purchase two of them because of the reviews on this site. We couldn't be happier. For middle-aged beginners, this is the kayak. It is extremely stable even in very choppy water, and it heads into the wind very well. It is faster than we expected, and very easy to turn. The foot clips come off very easy, so adjust them before you head out, as they are impossible to adjust once you are out on the water. Get the splash skirts, even if you just plan to use this kayak on a lake, you'll stay much drier. Be sure to get the right size paddles. The salesperson sold me paddles which were too short for me, and I had to return them for longer ones. Even though I am only 5'4", I needed #220 paddles with the long and narrow paddle end. It made paddling a joy instead of a fight. For beginners like us, don't skimp on paddles. Get the best ones you can afford. Get ajustable ones which let you off-set the paddles so they cut into the wind. The second time out, we felt like "pros". Just very sorry that we didn't do this sooner. Hope to be kayaking well into our eighties!! This site was a huge help in deciding between manufacturers and models. Thanks to all Acadia owners who wrote in.

Sawyer Paddles: