Submitted: 05-21-2003 by tlb
I am a recreational kayaker and always paddle unfeathered; the following comparison is based on my personal experience of having owned three kayaks that I paddled with a Mid Swift, made by Eddyline. I was spoiled by the Swift's low weight and was very satisfied with its performance with my narrower kayaks. Then I tried the Wilderness Systems Pungo 140 which I loved it right from the start but paddlewise, something was lacking at times; maybe because of the Pungo's wide hull, I felt a need for a paddle with more grab or a little more bite. Today, after having paddled my latest kayak for a month with the same paddle, I bought a Werner Kauai 230 cm (which has blades that are shorter and wider) and headed for Lake Winnepasauki where I had paddled 2 weeks before in similar wind conditions; with the Werner Kauai I noticed an increase in speed and control and no increase in shoulder fatigue that I had anticipated from a wider bladed paddle.