Submitted: 05-20-2003 by WMC

This is my third summer with my Necky Santa Cruze and I couldn't be happier! It's very versatile and perfect for someone who will be paddling in a lot of different conditions. The downside is that it doesn't excel at any one type of water. If you'll always be paddling in the same conditions (white water, flat lakes, etc.)you're probably better off buying a kayak that's more specialized. But if you like variety, this is your boat!

If you're a larger paddler (I'm 6'6" and 240 lbs.) the Santa Cruz is a great choice. I was a little concerned at first with the difficulty in tracking, but after about 20 hours of paddling time, it was no longer a problem. I actually prefer not to use the skeg and compensate with my stroke instead. Overall, I think this kayak is a great choice for most people.