Submitted: 05-19-2003 by paul harvey

My partner and I purchased a pair of kahunas last september, we took them straight to the west Scottish coast, after spending an interesting night of trial assembly in the stirling travel lodge. First crack took about 2 hours, but then we hadnt been able to watch the assembly video, so we were only guessingat what went where. Next day we headed out along the "Road to the Isles", we found a camp site right on the beach at Arisaig got the boats out and assembled in about 30 minutes, once you what goes where they are a piece of piss to assemble. Then we were off, straight out into the Atlantic, happily paddling out to sea. This is probably the best, and worst point, about the kahuna they are so well made,and so stable,that the imediate sensation of paddling one,is to be overwhelmed by a feeling of absolute security. I am not a great paddler you can even call me a novice and I would`nt disagree with you. I have paddled rivers up to grade three, but then only by luck not skill did I make it through, but put me in my kahuna, tell we're going and i will confidently paddle out into whatever sea state is running,knowing that the kahuna is more than a match for the sea the weak point being my own skill.

The kahuna does weather cock,but not a lot.and how many 14 1/2" kayaks don't? You can correct just by altering your seating position,and or decentering your paddle grip,keep low,keep the paddle low,avoid the wind,dont stack the deck with to much kit, I promise you will manage the weather cocking.

About the coaming,as I said before we bought two kahunas, and on one we found that the coaming was a v tight fit.I had trouble fitting the rubber even with rock climbers thumbs, so i emailed feather craft, who asked me to tell them how many identification marks (bumps) were inside the front section of the coaming channel they said okay and sent me a replacement direct to me in london,at there own expense no quibbling,or whinning,they just wanted the boats, and our enjoyment of them to unquestionable. These people truely believe in their products and are willing to stand by them. For them to have been any friendlier we would have had too have been been related. The new coaming made all the difference. The Kahuna really is the the perfect combination of quality,ingenius design,and ascetic design,matched with total reliability,and bombproof construction.

Why cant everthing be so well made and well considered? suffice to say we had a totally enthralling 2 weeks paddling the north west scottish coastline in perfect weather and calm seas and also in foul weather and rougher seas than i ever thought i would paddle in the only thing that scared me was my own lack of ability. The kahuna holds no terrors for any one who paddles one. Buy one today.If I could take on the franchise to sell Feathercraft kayaks in the south of England I would give up my job and do it tommorow.

thanks for reading my thoughts if i could fault the kahuna i would i cant. get the deck hatches get the flotation bags get a quality paddle from lendal or werner get a throw line and get a pdf get out on the water and be prepared to have more fun than its decent for one person to have whilst paddling themselves.

Paul "still grinning like a 12 year old at his fisrt school disco" Harvey