Submitted: 05-05-2003 by richardseaton

I bought my first Captiva last spring and instantly started having fun with it. Boat tracks well. Seems very durable. I have even learned to carve a turn in it, well sort of. Boat is great for larger people (I am 6'1" and 220 lbs). The boat has as much carrying capacity as any other one person kayak I have run across. I have heard it refered to as a muletrain. It is not a fast boat and getting the thing turned around requires some effort. Now the real endorsement: I bought another one last month. This model of boat is now called the Carolina 16, but it is exactly the same design, with some equipment upgrades. Now my son, who is about my size, is paddling the original. We will be taking a 7 day selfsupported wilderness trip this June. The jury is still out on the new plastic rudder. I do like the ratchet adjusting backband although I do have some concern about it's longterm durability. Overall, this is a great boat and I'd recommend it to any larger paddler who understands the design limitations.