Submitted: 05-05-2003 by seakayak_nc

I have the 2002 model, which has slightly different seat than 2003 model I am told. The boat is very stable, responds well and the skeg definately keeps the boat tracking perfectly. With the skeg up, the boat turns nicely. My first trip in the boat was a 12 mile long lazy blackwater creek that after about 6 miles becomes wide and wind/tide affected. The wind spent most of the time in my face and the boat handled very well. The end of the trip requires a paddle across a 3/4 mile open water bay to the opposite shore. This was done in about a 15 knot headwind and again the boat handled extremely well. It is fairly fast for it's width and I would say comfortable to paddle for extended trips. It is really designed for small to medium paddlers and I am 5' 7 200 lbs. Not sure if that qualifies as medium paddler or not but I am very happy with the boat. I recommend a spray skirt very highly if the paddling in any waves. Like most small boats, the bow does not fend off waves too well and water tends to roll into the cockpit. This is one of several boats I own but it will be one I use a lot. I would give the boat a 10 rating but I want to paddle it some more to get a better feel for it in open water. I recommend the boat tho as a good day tripper. The 14 foot length is very suitable for this type of paddling.