Submitted: 04-30-2003 by pompeople

An honest 48# (including hatches, compass and seat)(weighed it myself!) (18 ft x 22.5) I have had this boat for three months now, and have found it to be quite enjoyable. Comes standard with rudder, but have paddled it several times without rudder, and found the boat to be easy turning when edged, but tracks well in the straightaways. I have not noticed a tendancy to weathercock, it seems pretty much neutral in stiff breezes. The bow rides into waves well, not showing a tendancy to dive, and the foredeck sheds water well.

These boats are custom crafted in Port Townsend, WA by Ron Haxby, a solo operation. While the minute finish details may not measure up to the slickness of the mass produced boats, they are beautiful to see and paddle. They are also priced in a much more affordable range than most other builders (I could not have afforded a new Kevlar boat from anyone else!)

I added a Ritchie Kayacker deck mounted compass and additional aft deck rigging (standard rigging is only foredeck bungees)to complete the rig-out.

This is my second boat, moving up from a Northwest Pursuit RM, and I am amazed at the difference! Would not hesitate to recommend.

Pygmy Boats: