Submitted: 04-28-2003 by somalley
This is the best river runner I have ever paddled! I may someday buy a slicy little playboat, but I'll never sell my RPM. You'll hear a lot of folks say to avoid displacement hulls like the plague. If you're planning on learning to playboat, that's probably good advice. But if you like running the river between playspots as much or more than the playing itself, the RPM can't be beat.

The RPM has great hull speed, stability approaching that of a flat hulled boat, and good maneuverability. Boats like the GT and Booster are capable of running rivers, but it's a lot of work. The RPM does so effortlessly. For example, a simple diagonal move across the current takes 3 or 4 times as many strokes in a GT than in an RPM.

Of course, the RPM doesn't sidesurf quite as well as a planing hull boat, but you can't have everything. As a class III river runner, the RPM rocks!