Submitted: 04-17-2003 by DB

First had a chance to demo the Monterey 14.0 in October of last year (2002) and had to have one! Purchased one the first of this year (2003). It makes a great day touring boat for some one my size, (5’10”- 170 lb.), or larger. (Lighter paddlers might opt for the 13.5 model.) The low coaming height works well for those of us with a “short waist”. It has proved to be perfect for use in the narrow rivers and the tree lined lakes here in North Florida. (Have not had a chance to try it in the surf yet.)

Perception calls this boat a shallow V, but it is almost flat at the area under the seat, combined with a definite chine it allows for the boat to be quite agile and predictable when edging, and quick to turn with the skeg up. With the skeg down it tracks like a much longer boat, holding a line well when going up stream or with a quartering wind, or both, requiring only an occasional tilt or sweep to stay on course. The Swede form makes it easy to bring up to speed and seems to maintain speed easier than my wife’s 14’ Perception Shadow. It is stable enough to use for photography or bird watching with out being a “barge”.

The seat back has a nice adjustment system but I had to move the anchor bolt to get the back vertical enough to be comfortable for me. The seat back is also a little too tall. I find it more comfortable to use a PFD that is either short in the back or has a mesh back. (The only reason I didn’t give it a full “10” rating.)

The fit and finish is very good for a poly boat with the hatch covers fitting their openings snugly and the padding in the seat, seat back, and thigh braces enhancing the all day comfort.